Finding the right marketing internships NYC has to offer you can be tricky. As you begin your career in marketing there is a lot to consider to gain a competitive edge in a densely crowded industry and city.
Which types of internships are the best to take? How will the internship you get affect your longer term job opportunities and career goals? This post is a guide to help you compare and contrast the two main options you have, and provide some information on how to find an internship in either direction you choose.
Big Marketing Agencies NYC
There are many larger and more established corporate marketing agencies in New York City. These agencies have often been around a while and have carved their niche. Here are the typical pros and cons of interning with them…
- Have large offices and large clients, providing experience in professional and corporate environment.
- Opportunity to learn how marketing for big companies works.
- Often have a large number of employees, potential opportunities to network.
- Learn how big agencies create high level marketing strategy for larger brands.
- Likely miss out on implementing marketing tactics, as most big agencies create strategy and don’t execute the marketing itself (no social media, content, SEO, implementation experience).
- Often interns are made to do low level work, limiting the experience (Can you get me a coffee?).
- Usually no flexibility in working with student schedules, and often require at least 24 hours a week commitment and 3-5 shifts.
- Culture of larger agencies is typically more corporate and less enjoyable to work.
- Often very hard to get internship at these big agencies, wasting a lot of your time if you don’t get an internship.
Boutique or Startup Marketing Agencies NYC
For every large marketing agency, there are many boutique or startup marketing agencies. These agencies are often smaller in size (3-10 employees) and are used to doing a lot with a little (more creative and resourceful).
Tips for Finding Marketing Internships NYC
Finding internships for marketing in the new york city area can be daunting. There are many places to search and keep track of. Here are some helpful tips for finding marketing internships nyc has to offer…
- Find the agencies you admire and want to learn from.
- Keep track of internship postings on their website. Apply when posting is available.
- If internship is not posted, contact agency and request an information interview to learn more about their agency and ask about when internships are available.
- Find marketing internship postings in NYC on your school’s job board websites like: City Tech Job Board, New School Job Board, SVA Job Board, FIT Job Board, Pratt Job Board, Medgar Evers Job Board, Baruch Job Board, NYU Job Board, LIM Job Board, LIU Job Board , MCNY Job Board, Pace University Job Board, or other college job websites.
- Find internship postings on job posting websites like: Craigslist Jobs NYC, Idealist Jobs, Indeed Marketing Internships NYC Jobs, Internships.com, Linkedin,
or other job websites.
- Don’t give up after applying the first time. Follow up with emails, phone calls, and in-person visits to check in on the status of your application. It will show dedication, and every agency likes that quality.
The world of marketing is always evolving and always relevant. A career in marketing offers a lifetime of professional growth. While larger agencies offer more corporate experience, they may not advance your marketing skills all that much as an intern. With smaller boutique agencies you’re likely to get valuable hands-on experience, but may have to balance that against little or no compensation for that experience to improve your career options down the road. Choosing the right marketing internship is important to set you down a successful and fulfilling career path.
Interning with Us!
Responsify is a boutique marketing agency located in NYC. Our marketing is focused on helping technology companies grow to improve the quality of life for their customers. Our culture code includes putting people first, doing things together, keeping things simple, pushing the limits of what’s possible, and doing what’s right over what’s convenient. We are at the forefront of marketing, and provide strategy, content, SEO, and social media services and leverage the latest advanced sales and marketing technology.
We seek local, energetic, and passionate marketing interns to work with us. Although we don’t have the big budgets of corporate marketing agencies, we offer extremely valuable first-hand experience creating marketing strategy and implementation for cutting-edge tech companies (free learning opportunity), cover travel expenses (unlimited monthly MetroCard), provide lunch, school credit (when applicable), and provide a reference for future employers. At Responsify, you’re one of us.
If that sounds like the type of marketing internship you’re looking for, feel free to send us your résumé. We look look forward to it. You can send your résumé to: firstname.lastname@example.org